Nigerian Geological Survey Agency
About Nigerian Geological Survey Agency
The Nigerian Geological Survey Agency is a parastatal under the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development. The Agency has the statutory role of providing relevant and up-to-date geosciences information necessary for economic development of Nigeria. This is accomplished through a systematic process of gathering, collating, assessment and dissemination of all information related to rocks, minerals and groundwater resources of the country.
The Agency was established by Act of the National Assembly via a bill of May 22, 2006. Its earliest precursor the Geological Survey of Nigeria (GSN), was set up in 1919 following the disbandment of the Mineral Survey of Northern and Southern Nigeria in 1909 and 1913, respectively.
Geological Survey of Nigeria evolved as far back as 1903 and 1904 when the Mineral Surveys of the Southern and Northern Protectorates of Nigeria were established respectively by the British Secretary of State for the Colonies. The Mineral Surveys were to carry out broad reconnaissance survey of mineral resources of the Protectorates for use as raw materials for industries in Britain. In the course of their activities, mineral deposits such as Tinstone, Columbite, Bitumen, Lead-zinc, Ores, Coal, Pottery Clays, Iron Ore, Gold, and Marble etc were discovered in various parts of the country. The Geological Survey of Nigeria (GSN) came into existence in 1919 as an autonomous body. By 1930, the first permanent headquarters of GSN was set up in Kaduna with a satellite office in Jos in order to speed up its activities in the tin fields. While Kaduna remained the field headquarters, the administrative headquarters was moved to Lagos-the nation’s capital then.
The Minerals Ordinance of 1946 and the Cola Ordinance No. 29 of 1950 provided the legal basis for the development of Solid Mineral in Nigeria.
Immediately after independence, the autonomy of Geological Survey of Nigeria was withdrawn and it became administered since then as a Department under the supervision of various Ministries. The Department first came under the Ministry of Mines, Power and Lagos Affairs and later at various times under
- Ministry of Mines and Power- up to 1984
- Ministry of Mines, Power and Steel 1984 -1989; and
- Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources, 1989 -1995
List of Past Directors and Director General / CEO
|J.D. Falconer||1919 – 1927|
|R.C. Wilson||1927 – 1943|
|C.M. Tattam (Acting Director)||1943 – 1944|
|F.Dixey||1944 – 1947|
|C.Raeburn||1947 – 1949|
|R.R.E. Jacobson||1949 – 1963|
|J.D. Carter||1963 – 1967|
|J.L. Olowu (Acting Deputy Director)||1967 – 1971|
|C.N. Okezie||1971 – 1984|
|J.I. Nehikhare||1984 – 1990|
|S.A. Onuogu||1990 – 1991|
|E.A. Ige||July 1992|
|Dr. Aderonpe||1992 -1992|
|Dr. Ojo||1992 – 2003|
|Prof. Siyan Malomo||2003 – 2013|
|Alex Ndubuisi Nwegbu||2013 — till date|
The statutory functions of the Nigerian Geological Survey Agency are summarized as follows:
- Carry out detailed geological investigations, including analytical and laboratory works, photo geology and other interpretations, core drilling, well-logging, geo-statistics and other mineral calculations as estimations, and valuation.
- Produce geological, geophysical and geo-chemical maps of Nigeria on various scales.
- Promote the search for and exploitation of minerals in Nigeria.
- Undertake research In the filed of geo-sciences and mineral resources in Nigeria
- Compile and develop a comprehensive and integrated collection and dissemination of knowledge of geology, geo-chemistry, geophysics, engineering geology, economic geology, geochronology, marine geology and geomagnetism.
- Serve as national depository of all geo science information relating to the earth, the marine environment and geomagnetic space.
- Study the use of the surface and sub-surface of the land, and from geoscientific viewpoint, advice government institutions and the general public on the Judicious and safe use thereof.
- Develop and maintain the National Geosciences Information Centre and other such centre as may be approved by the Board, the National Geological Data Infrastructure, the National Geological Research Laboratory, the National Borehole Core Depository, the National Geophysical and Goo-chemical test sites and the Geological Museum;
- Conduct investigations and render specialized geological services to tile public and private institutions.
- Undertake research on behalf of the Federal and State governments, any other government institutions, and support such research financially or otherwise.
- Undertake joint research project with ministries, extra-ministerial departments and agencies, universities and other tertiary institutions and other persons.
- Cooperate with educational authorities and scientific or technical societies for the promotion of the education and training of researchers, technical experts and other supporting personnel technical institution and Universities.
- Cooperate with persons and institutions undertaking geological and mineralogical research in other countries by exchange of geo-scientific knowledge and means of international meetings and research projects.
- Establish, organize, run, operate, conduct and participate in such training courses, lectures, seminars, conferences, symposia and similar study group as may enhance tile activities of tile Agency or the efficiency of any of its officers and employees.
- Promote investment in Nigeria’s solid minerals and cooperate with both local and foreign investors and organizations.
- Maintenance and up-dating of solid minerals statistics and data bank for investment promotion.
- Produce periodic and annual reports of minerals statistics.
“To evolve an open, transparent and flexible organization that would provide geosciences information and knowledge for wealth creation and national development”
“To emerge as the ultimate referral point for geosciences information and knowledge using highly qualified and skilled professional, cutting –edge technology and in collaboration with stakeholder”
WHO WE ARE
The Nigerian Geological Survey Agency (NGSA) is a dynamic body in the area of geosciences and is always engaged in applied researches, Geoscientific information monitoring, Environmental sciences, and Mineral resources development in Nigeria. Being a parastatal under the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development (MMSD), it is charged with the responsibility of carrying out basic geoscientific research to advance the knowledge of geology and mineral deposits in Nigeria.
WHAT WE DO
The Nigerian Geological Survey Agency (NGSA) primarily carries out the following activities:
- Geological mapping
- Geophysical surveys
- Geotechnical mapping
- Geochemical mapping
- Marine and coastal geological surveys
- Geohazard monitoring
- Mineral exploration
- Remote sensing interpretation
- Map production
- Laboratory services
Nigerian Geological Survey Agency
31 Shettima A. Munguno Crescent,
Behind Julius Berger Headqaurter.
Utako District, PMB 616 Garki
Phone:-234 ……………..Fax: +234
Customer Service Links
Click here to visit Nigerian Geological Survey Agency Portal